Göppingen, nestled in the wonderful countryside of the Swabian Alb, bears a particular responsibility towards this natural paradise. This makes it all the more important to sensibly utilise the waste generated locally to produce energy. With this aim in mind, EEW’s energy from waste plant in Göppingen, which was fitted with a new boiler and ultra-modern flue gas cleaning system in 1998, produces 52,000 megawatt hours of district heat every year for the Klinik am Eichert hospital, the Bergfeld residential estate and the nearby riot-police station. Moreover, the plant produces 88,000 megawatt hours of electricity, corresponding to the power required by around 25,000 households in the region. To generate this energy, up to 168,000 tonnes of residual waste from the district of Göppingen and the state of Baden-Württemberg can be recovered in a safe, low-emission process.
In view of the current situation with regard to the corona virus (SARS-CoV-2), until further notice there will be no tours for visitor groups at the EEW locations in Germany, Luxembourg and The Netherlands. This is purely a precautionary measure in the interests of our employees and visitors.
Up-to-date information on the corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) with instructions for visitors and customers at the EEW locations in Germany, Luxembourg and The Netherlands can be found here.
|Commissioning replacement line||1998|
|Total investment||€ 75 million|
|Capacity||168,000 tonnes/year - 3 year average|
|Number of combustion lines||1|
|Waste bunker capacity||6,400 cubic metres ≈ 3,200 tonnes|
|Calorific range of waste||9-11 megajoules/kilogram|
|Power generation||88,000 megawatt hours/year ≈ 25,000 households|
|District heating generation||52,000 megawatt hours/year|
The operator EEW Energy from Waste Göppingen GmbH publishes the emission data to continuously inform the citizens on the quality of the exhaust gas purification of its waste incineration line.
You can find the values of the past years below (only in German):
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2020 (PDF, 430.4 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2019 (PDF, 51.5 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2018 (PDF, 430.4 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2017 (PDF, 418.8 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2016 (PDF, 74.9 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2015 (PDF, 51.7 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2014 (PDF, 429.6 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2013 (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2012 (PDF, 37.4 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2011 (PDF, 37.7 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2010 (PDF, 42.1 KB)
- Emissions MHKW Göppingen 2009 (PDF, 57.6 KB)